Random Pensieve

My personal pensieve for my precious thoughts on life, love, etc. (a.k.a. my much ado about nothing)

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Because I Can

I was watching this guy on t.v. last weekend explain how he lost his phone and how pictures of him in compromising poses have been spreading over text (sms) messages.

The show's host asked why he kept such pictures in his phone. The guy answered the usual excuses (i.e. memories, etc.).

It came to my mind, however, that the main reason was because he could.

It was so plain and simple, almost idiotic even, to realize that we do stuff because we can.

But it is the utter simplicity of the reason behind most of our actions that really makes me wonder. It is the single, most honest answer one can give to the question why we do the things we do.

In recent months, I have come to believe that truth is verified by experience. And that there is no absolute "truth", only shared "truths". What may be "true" for me may not be "true" for others, and so is the reverse, because we have different experiences (i.e.different paradigms).

Doing the things we do because we can is a shared "truth", in that, many can verify, and have verified, this by experience. It is, by itself, also amoral (i.e.neither moral nor immoral). It is a basic "truth" devoid of principles and prejudices.

I didn't mean to go philosophical on this. I was just really struck by the simple reason behind all that we do. And I can do this because I can.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ay! kilala ko yang reporter na yan.. si JV Villar yan diba?

    met him na before noong sila pa ng friend kong si Arnold.

    bakit he keeps naked pics of himself in his phone? duh? bading eh.

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    Waiver: Comments posted by the readers of this blog are their own views on the issue discussed in the particular post where the comments appeared.

    It is not the author's intent to question the subject's orientation, but was merely making an observation of a general human behavior.

    My apologies to those who have been named inadvertently.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Listed on BlogShares Blogroll Me!

Powered by Blogger